New Year’s Resolutions are great! If you follow them, you truly can create a better version of yourself in the new year. But let’s be honest, it’s only been a few weeks of 2018, and slooooowly those resolutions don’t seem that exciting to accomplish anymore. I can’t preach a foolproof way to accomplish those resolutions because there’s no perfect recipe for it, but I do want to share some tips for being the happiest version of yourself this year. I’ve learned through the years that these methods can almost guarantee a mood boost:
1.Exercise!! It’s a resolution that we all at one point have put on our list. Unfortunately, most of us only stick with it for a few weeks until we eventually drop it. But exercise is so important! It’s scientifically proven that the release of endorphins makes you feel more energized and overall happier. Find a playlist that makes you feel like you’re unstoppable. Find a workout buddy who will hold you accountable. Set realistic goals, put them in writing, and hang that writing up somewhere to hold yourself further accountable. Your body will not only look better, but feel better.
2. Eat cleaner. Don’t get me wrong, a little bit of chocolate a day won’t do you any harm. In fact, worrying about your diet too much will only make you more stressed. Instead, find ways to get the flavors you love but in a more wholesome way. I eat the same salad every night, which is kind of insane but SO delicious. All I do (actually-all my mom does because no one can make it as well as she does) is put in some radishes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, olive oil and salt. I still get the salt that I crave all the time, but also while getting my veggies for the day. And seriously, it tastes good. The nutrients will brighten your skin, give you more energy, and boost your mood.
3. Enjoy Friday nights at home! Ever since I can remember, there’s been so much pressure to go out on the weekends, whether it’s out to dinner or to a party. But rest time is so important. Make some popcorn, get a blanket, and binge watch your favorite show. The relaxation will lighten your mood and let your body have the breather it needs.
4. Buy yourself some good body wash and lotion. The joy that smelling and feeling fresh can bring you is so underrated. Bath and body works is your best friend.
5. Write! You don’t have to be good at it or even write with purpose to enjoy it. Write about your day, your dreams, your goals, your worries. Create a story. Write poems. Vent about your struggles. Get it all out on paper.
6. Take a relationship break! While being in love is great, taking time for yourself is just as valuable. The break will stop you from constantly wondering why he or she isn’t texting back, worrying about if you can fit into each other’s schedules, and from experiencing countless other relationship stresses. That way, you become happy with yourself and are ready to be the best you can be when you decide to get back out there.
7. Get yourself on a regular sleep schedule. This seems impossible to most people like me who are up late with the loads of homework we receive, but there’s always a way to make it work. Sleep refreshes you. It’s a must if you want to be as happy as possible.
8. Fuzzy socks. I don’t care what gender or age you are. Fuzzy socks equal happiness.
9.Find a comedy on Netflix. Dramas and documentaries are great, but everyone needs a pick me up. Some of my favorites are Friends, Parks and Recreation, New Girl, and The Office.
10. Tell people how much you love them. It may feel overbearing at first, but who cares? You’ll make their days, and in turn it’ll make you feel so good.
11. Challenge yourself to be more independent each day. Whether it’s learning to drive, starting a business, moving out of your parents’ house, you name it. The rush of knowing you accomplished something on your own is so inspiring.
12. Help people. Strangers, friends, family, whoever needs it. Volunteer more just for the good of it. Encourage your friends to vent to you when they seem sad. Offer to wash the dishes. By helping others, you help yourself and become much happier.
13. Spend time outside. Find an activity you love that you can do while you spend time outside. I love doing my homework in the sun when it’s warm. Other ways to get in that vitamin D are joining a sport, sledding, snowboarding, going on picnic dates, and taking after school walks. Being connected to nature just livens you up as cheesy as it sounds.
14. Spa day it up. This goes for guys too. Getting a massage and then treating yourself will make you feel brand new.
15. Choose to be happy. It’s definitely not as easy as it sounds and often can feel impossible. Still, try. Wake up everyday thankful because you’re lucky to have another day on this planet. You’re luckier than you can ever imagine.
16. Get out of your comfort zone. You don’t have to go skydiving to do this. You can rock climb, offer to make a presentation, ask someone out, try an art class. Whatever makes your heart start beating a little faster.
17. Call your grandparents. If you’re lucky enough to have a good relationship with them, take advantage of it and call them as much as you can. They’ll never blindside you and, their advice will always be genuine. Tell them your secrets instead of to friends who may come and go.
18. Deal with your problems. Figure them out once and for all. Whether it’s seeking help for something traumatic that has been paralyzing you for a while, getting closure to a relationship, going to the doctor to figure out what is really wrong with your shoulder, confronting someone who has wronged you, or whatever else it may be. You owe it to yourself and those around you to deal with these issues head on so that you can become the best version of yourself.